Saturday, August 15, 2009

Gobi Manchurian

My brother, P recently had come down to visit us. He also happens to be a "F.O.O.D.I.E" like yours truly. He visited a dear one of ours who pampered us with Gifts and Goodies: Russel Stover Chocolates and Sinfully rich Pistachio Cakes. Thanks to our dear one for this kind gesture. Along with that came a Knorr Chinese Manchurian Recipe Mix. I had asked him once what is his all time favorite dish which he can be caught eating morning, noon and night, 24 x 7. He quipped, "Gobi Manchurian".

I was delighted when I saw this packet as Gobi Manchurian has been a recipe which has taught me a lot of things, be it perseverance when your dishes spell a disaster, patience when you just want the right taste and do not seem to be satisfied with what you've created. Finally after 15-20 odd trials of this recipe as a teenager probably when I was 15 year old, I discovered the right approach. I began my trials at the age of 12 for this tasty dish.


Anyways, coming back to Machurian, I regret I could not make this dish as promised to him when he was here. This dish is for your, P. Enjoy the visual treat! :)

Recipe adapted as given on Knorr Ready Recipe Mix, I tweaked it a little to suit our spicy taste buds
Serves: Around 6-8 people
Ingredients:
Cauliflower - 1 Large Head (chopped into medium floret pieces)
Corn Flour - 1 cup
All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
Rice Flour - 2 teaspoon
Soya Sauce - 3 teaspoon
Ginger-garlic-coriander stem-chilli paste - 2 teaspoon
Salt - as per taste
Vegetables (chopped and diced) - 1 Carrot, 1 Onion, 1 Capsicum
Vegetable Oil - For frying
Pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli flakes - Just a little sprinkle for extra zing

Method:
Make a thick batter out of Maida, Corn flour, Rice Flour, salt and keep aside. Wash the florests thoroughly and give a nice stir with the paste and soya sauce. Mom suggested I do that since the Pakoras (Batter Dipped Fried Dumplings) would otherwise turn bland and albeit less tasty. Dip the florets in this batter and deep fry in vegetable oil and keep aside.

The best judgement for crispness in Pakoras is a gentle tap on the fried delight as per Anjum Anand. If you hear a firm sound it implies the Pakoras are crisp.

For the sauce, pan-fry vegetables in oil, around 2 tablespoons. Once wilted and crisp, add 4 cups of water alongwith this recipe mix and stir well. Add salt if desired and additional pepper powder and chilli flakes for extra zing. Add the fried Pakoras and voila! You are set for a Mandarin banquet!!

1 comment:

  1. HI Ashwini, I am looking forward to exploring your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.