Monday, August 17, 2009

Maggi Noodles

India Independence was just around the corner. I was thinking about the good old days when we used to anxiously wait to go to school for Flag Hoisting ceremony. The star of the event was the Vada-Pav and Boondi Ladoo we got as kids. Fervently prepare your speeches, skits, mime content, dress like Nehru or Gandhi.


I believe little acts of random kindness, goodness or patriotism are taught at home. Who better teachers than your own parents. Even to this date, if there is "Jana Gana Mana" playing in the background on TV, Radio my parents still stand up, spend a minute in silence, take a moment or two to usher in the patriotic sprit and may be rekindle those memories of sacrifices, struggle and freedom.

I made Maggi, what better way to wish any Indian than with this humble 2-Minute Noodle which has been with me since my toddler nasty pursuits, prankmaster childhood days, confused teenage, adventurous youth and now that of marital bliss!

"Happy Independence Day To All Indians Across the Globe"

Recipe adapted and tweaked from Maggie Noodles recipe

Ingredients:
Onion (chopped) - 1 big
Water - 1 and 1/2 cup
Oil - for frying
Pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Maggi Noodle - 1 packet
Salt (optional) - 1/3 teaspoon

Method:
Chop onions and keep aside. In a separate container, boil 1 1/2 cup of water. Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onions till they wilt and turn reddish. Add Maggi masala, salt and pepper powder. Stir well and add pre-boiled water. Add noodles and bring to boil. Simmer for around 5 minutes and you are done. Serve hot with evening tea


****************************************


I found an interesting post on Flower Fest posted by Manisha of Indian Food Rocks fame. I have this beautiful picture of Purple - Chicory Flower taken on one of very recent trips. Sending this as an entry to Flower Fest. I wish Manisha great success on the Flower Fest revival bit.
I am submitting my entry for Flower Fest - Purple Chicory Flower. This flower, is ground, pound and baked and is used a coffee substitute or as an additive. When I was a child I used to remember our coffee powder was blended with Chicory in 80:20 proportion. It serves as a good blending agent and neutralises the otherwise strong flavour of caffeine in coffee.

1 comment:

  1. Chicory is a gorgeous flower and it is edible! Love the pic and so glad you threw your hat in for Flower fest's comeback, Purplicious!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.