Friday, August 14, 2009

Rava Ladoo (Ravey Laddu)

Ever since I was child, I do not recall having special fascination for the sweet dishes except for 5 dishes - Doodh Paak, Rava Ladoo, Kheer, Sheera and Pooran Poli.

Even during my formative years of education, job and career I seldom had the urge to dig into sugary treats. P is a big fan of sweet dishes, so thought on occasion of Janmashtami would make a batch of Rava Ladoo and I am surprised they came out quite well. I had low expectations since it was the first time I made something like this.


Mom gave the recipe to me, she makes a big batch and throws them in the fridge and within a week's time the container is empty. Thanks to the lesser mortals who treat themselves with this yummy sweet.

This is also a special occasion for Konkani Foodie as this goes as my 50th POST OF THE YEAR. Yahoo! Many a times I thought my blog would die a slow death, but slowly and steadily I made it there. Few folks also felt that I will not be able to continue. This blog is still in the nascent stage, but on a personal note has given me lot of learning as a cook and as a learner for which I will always be grateful to the numerous writers from the Blogger world who amaze me with their infectious enthusiasm, passion for food, splendid photography and impeccable writing skills.

It also coincided with Krishna Janmashtami. Janmashtami is an Indian festival and it marks the day when Lord Krishna was born. Lord Krishna is a key mythological figure and object of worship for majority of Hindus. He is a diety for worship for some major sects in India. This day is celebrated in India with pooja (indian term for worship), rituals and fasts as a mark of respect for the Lord.
Mom asked me to make any Ladoo which Krishna loves, I decided to make Ravey Laddu with her help. Happy Janmashtami to one and all! May the grace of divine power always protect us and be with us!

Recipe Source: Mom
Serves: Around 15 Ladoos

Ingredients:
Rava or Sooji (fine) - 1 cup
Coconut powder - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Cardomom powder - 7-8 pods
Cashew nuts (chopped) - 6-8
Raisins - 1 teaspoon
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
Water - 1/2 cup

Method:
Heat Ghee in a pan and saute Cashew nuts, Raisins and allow them to pop. Once done, add Rava and Coconut powder and saute till the aroma wafts around your kitchen. Check the flame and keep it on medium lest you burn the Rava. Keep stirring continuously for around 5-8 minutes. Keep aside.

In the same pan, add sugar and add just enough water to caramelise sugar. You will observe bubbles popping at the bottom of the dish. This takes around 5-8 minutes. You should get one-thread consistency once the sugar syrup is ready.

Add Rava mixture to this and stir well. This will in a liquidy form which should be fine. Allow to cool for around 30 minutes. Apply ghee to palms and make medium sized Ladoos. Store in a air tight container and consume within a week or two.

Tips: Check the flame because if you keep the food on high flame, Rava would easily get burnt. Do not allow the Ladoo mix to cool a lot, you will face difficulty in moulding the Ladoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.