Thursday, August 6, 2009

White Peas Coconut Curry (Dhave Vataaney Usal - Goan style)


When we were kids, I used to love going to Satyanarayana pooja's. The simple reason being the amazing aura of sublime taste of Vataana Usal which was served as the prasad. I was scratching my head on the dinner menu. Mom suggested this recipe. I could not believe, the taste was exactly the same. One of my Maushi taught my mother and she is an expert now is making this Usal, I can say I can make a decent dish out of the Usal recipe now.

Recipe Source: Mom
Serves: 4 individuals

Ingredients:
Whole White peas (also called as White Vataana) - 1 cup
Grated coconut ( or coconut powder) - 1/2 cup
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/10 teaspoon
Salt - as per taste
Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
Water - for curry consistency

Method:
Pre-soak Vataana in water for 5-6 hours post washing them. Boil in a pressure cooker for 1/2 hour and mash them gently once or twice.
In a saucepan, add the mashed peas and rest of the ingredients. Bring to a semi-running curry consistency. I used coconut powder instead of coconut (grated), the taste is the same. Serve hot with Chapathis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.