Thursday, September 17, 2009

Angel White Cake with Walnuts: My 100th Post


I had lot of Egg Whites which I had to get rid of plus we were running out of Munch food as well. Thought of making Angel White Cake with Walnuts based on the recipe I found on the net. I was wee bit cautious as this was the first time I was making cakes out of Egg Whites.
This cake is made during special occasions like Easter, Celebration et al. They serve as best base cakes for frosting and icing treatments. Owing to its simplicity, its a family adored cake. I did some research and realised that cakes are not the same without a whole egg. The yolk adds to the density and strength of the cake which otherwise cannot be achieved with egg white alone. Angel White cake is a popular cake in US. I stashed in some walnuts as well since we wanted a crunchy biteful flavour. I goofed up a little with the Butter, I had less than 1/4 cup of butter in pantry, was wee bit dry as compared to rest of my cakes. Quantity and proportion wise, its a hit!

Another reason for me baking this cake was a mini celebration: this is my 100th post. Congratulations to Konkani Foodie for coming this long!! (Drum rolls and claps!!). Special thanks to all my blogger friends and numerous bloggers across the world who inspire me to try my best while cooking! Few key highlights due to Konkani Foodie on a personal note:

# I learnt HTML, XML and Javascript. This was long forgottten in college.
# Got a know-how of blog technology and coding fundamentals.
# Learnt Baking and I am just loving it..!
# Became more receptive and open to different cuisines which I was not before.
# Has made me little more disciplined, responsible in Kitchen.
# Helped me connect and be friends with some of the finest chefs across the globe.
# Made me more conscious of eco-friendly shopping, waste mgmt & kitchen economics.
# Sampled and learnt about different cuisines viz. Middle-East, Mexican, Ancient lost dishes, Persian, Malaysian and even Ethiopian if you can believe.
# Learnt about Photography, Lens, Apperture, Light, Exposure; Planning on DSLR in near future.
# Best of all - Made a better person out of me!

Thanks to all my blogger friends. This would not be without you guys!

Recipe adapted from Pachakam
Serves ~ 8 to 15 individuals

Ingredients:
Allpurpose flour (Maida) - 1 and 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 1/2 tablespoon
Walnuts (Toasted and Chopped) - Just a handful
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Powdered white sugar/ Confectionary sugar - 3/4 cup
Butter - 1/4 cup
Egg whites - 3
Vanilla essence - 1/2 teaspoon
Milk - 1/2 cup

Method:
Grease a cake pan (I used a 7 and 3/4 X 7 and 3/4 inch pan). Line the bottom with a parchment paper cut according to the size, this prevents any cake sticking to the pan bottom. Grease the sides with non-salted butter stick, dust with All Purpose flour and leave aside.

Pre-heat oven on 375 F. Sift the dry ingredients first. Mix the Flour, Baking powder and sugar and whisk well and use a blender for the same. Add salt and beat well. Then slowly blend in the wet ingredients one by one and keep whisking the ingredients. Once all done, finally fold in the walnuts.

Place in the top rack of oven for 40 minutes on 375 F. Check for doneness, with a knife or a toothpick. No cake should stick to the surface area. Remove from Oven after done completely. Allow to cool by flipping over for around 30 minutes.

Consume the cake next day around. Slice with a serrated knife, cuts and slices well for cakes and bakes. It certainly tastes better and the butter and flour blend well by then to create a wonderful after-taste in your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.