Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fish Curry (Aale Kande Ambat)

Aale in Konkani stands for Ginger and Kande stands for Onion. This popular dish - Aale Kande Ambat is prepared when there is Fish Fry as a side dish or much more simple - if you just want to have a Fish curry with Rice. I made this when I fried Fish. P and I personally do not like Fish curry so we made the gravy alone. But on a popular note, this is a famous Fish Curry recipe amongst Konkanis. This is the way it used to be prepared at my cousins place in Mangalore. She was kind enough to share the recipe with me.
The subtle flavours of Fish render a unique aroma to this dish though the base gravy for most of the South Canara cooking is always Red Chillies (Byadgi), Grated Coconut and Tamarind.

In my cousin's place in Goa and Mangalore, usually "Wooden Ladels" are used for Fish curry since they transfer the smell to steel utensils. You also get special Wooden Ladels which are made with Coconut shells and are found in abundance in markets in Goa and Mangalore. My aunts and cousins love these cute wooden ladels.

Serves: 2-3 individuals
Recipe adapted from the original recipe given by my cousin from Mangalore


Ingredients:
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Fish pieces - 4 to 6
Red Chillies - 4-5
Onion - 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds (optional) - 1/3 teaspoon ~ Just a sprinkle would do
Tamarind - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Ginger - 1/2 " piece
Oil - For frying
Salt - As per taste
Water - For curry consistency

Method:
Grind red chillies, grated coconut and tamarind with part of the ginger to a fine paste. During the last round of blending add mustard seeds, this gives a good flavour to the curry (this is an optional process, but the flavours blend well and get a good aroma if mustard seeds are added).

In a saucepan, heat oil and fry onions and minced ginger. They need to be cooked more than the usual translucent color. Allow them to char a little (little brownish color). Add the ground mix to these and bring to boil. Add enough water, salt and Fish pieces. Bring to boil and cook till Fish is done. Fish color would no longer be pink once its cooked. Serve hot with rice and Fish Fry.

Suggestion: Fish cooks very fast, so it should be done within 10 minutes once gravy is added. Keep a careful watch or else Fish pieces could overcook causing shredding of meat pieces.

3 comments:

  1. great recipe..will try it out. I live in Goa and konkani food is a fav too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice recipe and like the blog as well. I am not konkani - but I have tried a konkani curry as well - here's the recipe -
    http://love-at-first-bite-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/10/konkani-curry.html

    I would love to hear what you have to say about this recipe since you are Konkani..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Asha,

    Thanks for your comments. This is a Fish curry with herbs like Ginger, Garlic and curry leaves, quite unique and different. Some of my friends in Goa make Fish curry with ginger-garlic. I liked the addition of Kasuri Methi as well. Its quite rich.

    Thanks
    Ashwini.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.