Monday, October 5, 2009

Potato Fritters (Batatyaa Phodi/ Batatyachi Kaapaa)


This is a staple dish in Goa, India especially during the days when Vegetarian food is eaten which is Monday and Thursday. I have grown up eating this delightful spiced up Fritters. They are thin, crispy Potato Fritters fried to perfection in Rice powder, spices and oil. The vegetarian meal is called as Shivraag in my home. Non-Vegetarian meal is called as Bhairaag. Many of my Goan friends used to sigh on Mondays, it implies that they get to eat only vegetarian food that day. My dear friend N, used to sulk and say, "Ash - Its Varan Bhaat and Batatyachi Kaapa today". I used to giggle at her attachment to Fish and Seafood dishes.
There are few details about Goan meals which I wish to highlight. My neighbour whom we used to call as Bhaabhi used to cook greens like Drumstick leaves Bhaaji, Radish leaves Bhaaji, Sol Kadi, Varan, Ambadhyachee Udda Methi, Chavalichi Bhaaji on Mondays and Thursdays. I owe a lot of cooking and learning from Goa region to Bhaabhi who used to feed us with all sumptuous Goan meals and practices. Another observation is that she used to always offer warm water during Vegetarian meals. I used to find this amusing. Upon further research I began to understand that warm water supports digestion while eating food unlike cold water which converts the food into slush and is extremely bad for the stomach gut and lining as well for the whole digestive system. She also taught my mother this quintessenial Goan way of making fritters called Batatyachi Kaapa.

I loved this dish so much, that I told Mom to make it at our place. The peculiar thing is the manner in which the Potato is sliced which is vertical slices not more than 3-4 mm thick. From that day onwards, all our meals with Potato fried were Batatyachi Kaapa styled.

Serves ~ 2 individuals
Preparation time ~ 30 minutes


Ingredients:
Potato slices - 6-10
Rice Flour - 4-5 tablespoons
Red Chilli powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/5 teaspoon
Oil - For frying
Salt - As per taste

Method:

Slice 2 Potatoes and wash them in water for few minutes till the starch completely goes off. Drain off water, apply the marinade of salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside.

Roll the florets into Rice flour and Red Chilli powder mixture. Shallow fry in a deep dish frying pan, turn them over after they get fried on one side. Sprinkle water and cover with a lid. This ensures they get cooked appropriately. Turn off the flame once they are evenly fried and crispy, golden colored. Serve hot with Rice and Curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.