Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Kokum/ Brinda Kadhi (Sol Kadhi with Coconut)

Something which I miss a lot in US. Words cannot explain the nostalgic association I have with Sol Kadhi. This pinkish soulful Kadhi has been the witness of many a timeless conversations, bazaar visits, nostalgic moments shared on elaborate lunches with family and friends. A favorite with my Mother and me. I wish there was some source of constant Sol Kadhi supply here in US. I can only wish ! :)

For me Sol Kadhi is an epitome of Goa, the Viva Goa spirit, the assimilating bon vivant culture of Goa, the unique diversity prevailing, easy-going and happy-go-lucky sense of self, the ability to pack a punch with tang, spice and some salt. Nothing to beat a glass of Sol Kadhi during a hot summer afternoon for a quiet lunch with family.

Some of my friends from Goa who travel abroad, carry the Kokum syrup which is already packed for long distance travel. The taste is never the same though. Best bet would be to carry Sol or Kokum as they can be used and stored for longer duration and have a good shelf life depending on the quality of Kokum and the harvest time it was reaped.

There are different styles of making this Kadhi in Goa. Some like it thin, with less coconut juice, some like it thick, with more coconut juice. Some prefer it with cumin seeds and some like it with garlic.

Preparation time ~ 20 minutes
Soak time ~ 2-3 hours

Ingredients:
Kokum shells/ Sol - 4-6
Garlic flakes - 2-3
Salt - As per taste
Green Chillies (chopped) - 2
Grated Coconut - 2 cups

Method:
Soak kokum shells in water for 2-3 hours. Grind coconut (grated) with garlic flakes. Extract the juice out of it. You could use the same ground mix to extract the juice atleast 3 times. Add this juice to the soaked kokum juice. Add salt and slit chillies. Discard the Kokum or retain if you want more sourness. I prefer retaining the shells for deep sour taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.