Thursday, January 7, 2010

Aloo Methi

Something quick and easy - Aloo Methi. As a kid I used to despise eating Potatoes, and even now I do :); best way for parents to trick kids into eating vegetables is to make the dish more glamorous and appetizing. I recall Mom picking the freshest of Methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves) from the market and picking the tender shoots for curries and gravies. Methi leaves are something I love eating so it was aptly combined with Potatoes. Quite a simple dish.
Preparation time ~ 30 minues

Ingredients:
Potatoes (Boiled and Diced) - 2-3
Onion (chopped) - 1 small
Cumin powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Red Chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - Just a pinch
Asafoetida - Just a pinch
Oil - For frying
Kasuri Methi powder - 3 teaspoons or Methi Leaves (chopped) - 1/2 cup

Method:
Boil and dice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Do not make large pieces as they could be semi-boiled or raw. I do it in pressure cooker as its easier. Heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil in a saucepan. Saute Onions till turn translucent. Add chopped Methi leaves (if using the same) at this stage and allow to wilt. Add all the spice powders. Give a good stir. Simmer for 5 minutes on low flame. Crush Kasuri Methi leaves (if using the same) on the palm and sprinkle. Stir well and turn off the flame. Serve hot with Chapatis or Rotis.

3 comments:

  1. i love aloo methi esp with bhakaris..good recipe.

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methi aloo is a favorite here too..

    www.ruchikacooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, if you can't make them join ya, trick them :D that was my mom's mantra too, and I cannot believe I follow in her footsteps on this too! I have been craving for methi for a few days now, I think it's time to resort to some frozen stuff. Wonderfully simple and delicious recipe, Ashwini.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.