Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ginger Powder (Sonth Pudi/ Sonthi Pitti)


I have an ongoing fascination for Herbs, Spices and Spice powders. To withstand the long and chilly tormenting winters in US I had bought a pack of dry Ginger powder this year. Mom insisted I keep this powder handy in my kitchen. Little did I realise there were so many benefits which are packed in this aromatic powder. I am sure you would be thinking that if fresh Ginger root can be used why bother to use Ginger powder. The biggest advantage of Ginger powder is that you can control the portions and the effect is many times stronger than that of fresh Ginger root. Ginger powder is known as Sonthi Pitti in Konkani. Its also known as Sonth Pudi and is a yellow, rough powder with strong aroma. As a kid, Mom gave me tiny portions of this mixed with honey to keep cold and cough away.

I am listing few health benefits of Ginger powder in daily diet:
- Ginger powder can be added in beverages like Tea or Coffee to improve metabolism and aid digestion.
- Ginger keeps bloating, nausea, indigestion at bay and strengths your immune system.
- The oils in Ginger are very strong and if taken regularly aid in combating Arthritis.
- Ginger being a stomach friendly herb, packs lot of benefits to keep toxic elements, worms and harmful bacteria away.

Kitchen use of Ginger powder:
- Ginger powder can be easily added in soups, stews, breads, cookies and pies.
- They are also widely used in Asian, Thai cuisines to make hot piping stews with vegetables and meat.
- Ginger powder can be mixed with honey to soothe sore throat, cough and cold.
- Mix Ginger powder (about 1/3 teaspoon) wit Tea to cure chills, cold and flu symptoms. Ginger has this uncanny ability to elevate body temperature thereby making you feel warm.
- Make Kashaya - a soothing herbal drink with 1/3 teaspoon Ginger powder, 1/3 teaspoon Pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon Jaggery, 2-3 straws of Lemon Grass and bring to boil. Mix in 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of hot water and gulp it down in one shot. I will be posting a detailed recipe on this soon.


This is a work-in-progress post. I would be updating it regularly as and when I get more info around this wonderful spice powder.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very useful recipe dear. Thanks for posting this one. I am here after a long time. Tc

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Supriya - Thanks. Welcome back. Glad you liked the post.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.