Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spicy Egg Fry


Spicy Egg Fry is my grandmom's sisters recipe. I remember eating this as a child when we were invited to her place for a lunch invitation. Assuming that we all are egg eaters (my parents are pure vegetarians) she lovingly made this for us. At that time, I had just begun eating eggs upon my doctor's advise. The egg used to be cooked under strict supervision with separate assigned utensils which otherwise never saw dawn of the day for months together. Even to date, the utensil used to cook is kept in separate corner where only the person who cooks the egg would be asked to do the honors (which is a very rare unheard case). So, when I'd asked Mom to make this dish, I got a sound full hearing and the rest was history.

Today, I realise how she must have felt especially knowing her penchant to feed me the best foods in the world! Yeah, she is one of the rare kinds who likes to cook for me. Even when she hated the whole process of buying, cooking and serving eggs - she did it just for me. Gladly, many years later Mom remembered this recipe and narrated to me the nuts and bolts and I recreated the flavour in my solo apt kitchen.

~ Spicy Egg Fry ~
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Servings: 3-4

Ingredients:
Eggs (hard-boiled) - 4
Coriander leaves (finely chopped) - 1/2 cup
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt
Ghee/Oil

Method:
Hard boil eggs with little salt and run cold water over them once cooked. Peel off the shell and halve them, poke tiny slits with a knife on the eggs and set aside. In a frying pan, heat up ghee/oil, ensure the bottom gets evenly coated with fat medium of choice. Turn the flame to low, add all the spice powders and coriander leaves, give a good stir. Place the flat side of egg facing the pan one by one. Sear them one of one for 3-4 minutes. Flip them over and repeat. The eggs will get a thin crispy crust by now. Adjust salt if required. Once done, serve hot as a snack or a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.