Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sol Kadi with Ajwain (Owya chi Sol Kadi/ Ove Sol Kadi)

I relish Sol Kadi and enjoy the soothing beverage during warm summer days.

I like adding Ajwain in my daily cooking, so more often than not, it gets limited to Pakoras which I don't make very often. Ajwain is known as Bishop's weed or Carom seeds. It is known as Owa in Marathi and Ovo in GSB Konkani. Recently, I was on a pantry clean-up spree and I found a jar of Ajwain lying in the far dark corner of my kitchen shelf. I knew I had to use it immediately and found this recipe scribbled in my recipe journal.

I made this Sol Kadi with Ajwain and Pepper Corns, it turned out delicious. My Ma makes this on days when she observes special diet for e.g no onions and garlic or a fast for Sankashti/ Vinayaki. One of my Pachi (Aunt) who hails from Goa also makes this version at home. My Ma learned the approach from her. I enjoy this Kadi for the tangy flavor rendered by Kokum shells which mingles beautifully with mildly pungent taste of Ajwain. In GSB Konkani, Ajwain is known as Ovo, hence Ove Sol Kadi.

Carom Seeds | Ajwain
Ajwain/ Carom seeds/ Bishop's weed packs quite a lot of health benefits:
- Ajwain is effective due to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-spasmodic properties.
- It is effective for stomach infection, stomach ache and flatulence (gas).
- It is helpful for tooth ache, ear ache and relaxes muscle pain.
- It is effective for stomach pain when eaten with a little salt. 

~ Ove Sol Kadi ~
Preparation time: 60 minutes (includes soaking time)
Processing time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:
Kokum Shells - 5-8
Thick Coconut Milk (Canned or freshly extracted) - 1 cup
Green Chillies (slit lengthwise) - 2
Salt

Ground to a fine paste -
Grated coconut (fresh or frozen) - 2 tbsp.
Green Chilli (seared in oil) - 1
Ajwain (Carom seeds) - 1/2 tsp
Whole Black Pepper Corns - 5-7

For Garnish (optional) - freshly chopped Coriander leaves bits - 1 tsp.

Method:
1. Soak Kokum shells in approx. 3/4 cup of cool water along with two slit green chillies.
2. In a small frying pan, sear a green chilli in very little oil. Be careful as the chilli bursts due to pressure with seeds flying in all directions. Allow to cool.
3. Grind the seared green chilli, ajwain and whole black pepper corns to a paste along with fresh grated coconut. Add little water just enough to get a smooth paste.
3. Extract thick coconut milk out of one fresh coconut (approx. one cup). One can substitute with canned Coconut Milk. Add this to the Kokum water along withe ground paste. Adjust salt as per taste. Mix well. Discard or retain  green chillies and Kokum as per choice. Serve with warm rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.