Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ridge Gourd Vegetable/ Bhaaji (Ghosaale Upkari)

I am delighted to see lot of winter vegetables of different hues and varieties for a change. Of late, lot of winter vegetables are invading the produce scene. I opted to make a dish which I absolutely detested eating as a child - Ghosaale Upkari. In Konkani, Ridge Gourd is called as Ghosaale. I think sometimes going out of the comfort zone and eating vegetables which are good for health works wonders on your palate.


This year, I have decided to eat atleast one vegetable for which I do not have a liking atleast once every week. At the nutrition level, its wholesome because of the beta-carotene in vegetables. At the spiritual level, I think it enables and empowers to be more tolerant and resilient. The vegetables which I absolutely detest are - Beetroot, SnakeGourd, Ridge Gourd etc. Lets see how it goes by.

Upkari, a stir fried form of vegetables of choice is a staple at my home and that of my aunts and uncles. I like the simplicity and the no-jazz associated with it. This recipe is little different for a change. My cousin's mom hails from Shimoga, a small town now famous for Jog falls one of the prettiest water fall I have ever seen. She is a phenomenal cook and even the simplest of the dishes she makes taste out of the world. There is thought, caring and detail which goes into her menu-planning. She shared her secret of adding 2 tablespoon of milk while boiling vegetables to retain the color and crispness. I tried the trick and there was a subtle difference so to say. I also loved the manner in which the Ridge Gourd seeds interspersed with the vegetables to create a nice medley.

Cooking time + Preparation time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
Ridge Gourd (chopped) - 3 cups
Red Chillies - 2
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 5-6 leaves
Milk - 2 tablespoon ~ my secret ingredient
Oil - For frying
Grated coconut (fresh or frozen) - 1 tablespoon
Salt - As per taste
Water - for boiling

Method:
Chop Ridge Gourd, remove the ridges or retain them as per wish. I retained them for the nutritional value. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a saucepan, add mustard seeds and once they begin to pop, add red chillies and curry leaves. Give a gentle stir. Add the chopped Ridge Gourd pieces. Add enough water to dunk 2/3rd of vegetables in water. Bring to a boil, add 2 tablespoon of milk. Stir well and simmer on low flame for 15 minutes till it gets completely cooked. The milk added will offer slight curdled look. But do not bother, the flavour becomes yummy. Garnish with grated coconut and serve warm as a side dish.

6 comments:

  1. great recipe for tiffin. love such simple yet tasty recipes.

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Deepa- Thanks. I found this vegetable dish very simple with a subtle taste. I agree, its great for lunchbox menus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that as long as we have dhal and some pickle to eat these things, they will always go down well, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Cynthia - Yeah, Daal and some pickle goes well. This goes well as a side dish and has a very sublime taste.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.