Thursday, January 14, 2010

Banana Walnut Muffins


Have you had a fetish for a particular food type as a kid? Well, I had one and big time for Cupcakes. The simple, soft, ones with tutty-fruity in them which pull you to the Bakery especially when you are wandering around and your Mom holds you tight clasping her hands lest you run away helter and skelter. I was a Numero Uno naughty child. No prizes for guessing that one!

The nice Bakeries dotting the roadside were my favorites. I distinctly remember few which I visit even today - Menezes Bakery and Cafe Central - Goa for the most moist and delicious Cupcakes I have ever eaten, Kayani Bakery - Pune for their Shrewsberry Biscuit and Naankatai, Iyengar Bakery in Bangalore for their Sweet Buns and Tea cakes, Karachi Biscuit from Karachi bakery - Abids, Hyderabad.
This recipe has been on my mind for quite some time. As I have mentioned many a times in my blog before that I got inspired into baking by the Muffin Queen - Raaga of The Singing Chef fame. I baked my first home made cake looking at the delicious recipes which she had lined up. My first try was pretty good and I have gobbled up half the Muffins, needless to say. For cakes and bakes, Raaga's blog has been my go-to place. I made the Muffins based on her Banana-Walnut Recipe for Muffins. Thanks Raaga as always!

Now, what is the difference between a Muffin and a Cupcake? I researched and was surprised to know that indeed there is a difference.

Muffins are the daily plain-jane simple cupcake, quite heavier and more dense. Cupcakes are the ones which are lighter, smaller with a frosting, ganache or a decor done up for special occasions.

Recipe Source: Raaga - The Singing Chef
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 ~ 2 1/2 " Muffins

Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour - 3/4th cup
Overripe peeled Banana (mashed) - 2
Walnut (toasted and chopped) - 1/4th cup
Brown Sugar or Confectioners Sugar - Almost 1/2 a cup
Oil - 1/4 cup
Egg - 1
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Baking soda - Just a pinch
2 1/2 " Cupcake liners - 6

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Line the Muffin pan with Muffin liners (6 liners ~ 2 1/2 " each)

Mix the dry ingredients together first. Add the powdery ones first and mix well. Blend the wet ingredients - Banana, Egg, Oil together with blender. Add and slowly add into the dry ingredients. Fold in the walnut bits and mix well.

Pour the micture into each of the Muffin liners. Do not fill it to the brim. The cake would anyways expand once done. Leave room for atleast 4-5 mm space while filling the batter.

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven after 20 minutes and check for doneness with the help of a toothpick. If it comes out clean, its done and ready for a chow. Allow them to cool and then eat them or you could eat them warm. I prefer to keep them for the whole night and eat them the next day around. The Muffins taste good the next day around.

Plating: While plating the Muffin, plate them in party Muffin liners, pop in a Raisin/Walnut bit and sprinkle some sugar for that extra dazzle.

5 comments:

  1. love muffins and banana muffins with walnut sounds too good...

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well made dear...the muffins look so perfect and so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Supriya - Thanks. My first attempt, was great and fulfilling and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I took 2.5 years to get here. Thank you so much for trying it out and posting this here. Such a heart warming post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Raaga - I got the big boost after seeing your recipes. By all means I am a mean cook but an amateur baker. I owe it to you for inspiring me to bake. So glad to see you back. :)

      Delete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.