Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Traditional Konkani Grinding Stone (Daantey/ Zaatey/ Zaatuh)


Traditional Grinding/ Milling Stone or Daantey as its termed amongst Konkanis. This one which my mother uses even to this date is almost 50 years old. This is a traditional Grinding/ Milling Stone used and found in many a Konkani houses. Some of them use Blenders and Mixers nowadays out of sheer convenience. This stone is called Zaatuh in Marathi, Zaatey in Goan Konkani and Daantey in GSB Konkani. As much as I love these traditional contraptions, I cannot carry them with me back here in US. We use this contraption to make Idli Rava, Whole Urad Daal grinding and numerous other grinding/ milling purpose. The best part about using traditional mills is that you can control the granularity of your milled grains, pulses and lentils. They are more custom made and can be coarse or fine as per choice. Even to this date, Mom prefers the Idli Rava ground on this stone.
This Grinding Stone was gifted to my mom by my Grandmom. It is one of our prized possessions and probably the most ancient vintage Konkani contraptions we have in our household. This rocky, smooth stone grinder is very heavy and easily weighs between 10-12 pounds.

8 comments:

  1. How true...I remember my grandmom using this too. Nice post !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashwini, you brought back my chilhood memories...at my grand mom's place it was a regular affair...I remember my great grand mother singing and reciting shlokas while working on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mythili - Thanks. This was my granny's precious possession at one time.

    @ Pari - Thanks. I've heard Marathi and Goan folklore recited when they used to use this contaption at my home. These simple things bring back all old memories long forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to collect ole time kitchen tools and this just takes my breath away... what a beautiful treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Informative article, Ashwini! I've seen these but not with a design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Cynthia - Thanks. I just love these tools from olden days. They are so pretty and one-of-a-kind.

    @ Sra - Thanks. You said it - I adore the cute design. This one is becoming a rarity and slowly dwindling from the kitchens now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...yu refreshed my memories...my ajji never let go of her Dantey...we helped her sometimes with the making of the puddi...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Supriya - Thanks, even to this date Granny loves this stone. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.