Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ginger Chutey (Aalle Chutney)


I am a big Chutney fan especially Ginger Chutney or Alle Chutney; Alle in Konkani is Ginger. I was bored of eating the same chutney's with Red Chilli, just then this was one was thought of. My mom makes this Chutney with Chapathis or Rotis. This one is Mom's simple Ginger Chutney recipe.
For some reasons, I cherish the subtle undertones of Ginger in this chutney. Ginger has lot of curative properties and is excellent for digestive system maintenance. This chutney goes well with Dosa's and Roti's. Quick and easy one, aids in digesting oily, fatty and spicy food as well, so I prefer pairing it with Pakoras/ Bhajiyas as well.

Preparation time + Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients:
Grated Coconut (fresh) - 1 1/2 cup
Ginger (finely chopped) - 1" piece
Green Chillies (optional) - 1
Salt - as per taste
Asafoetida - Just a pinch

For seasoning -
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 4-5
Canola Oil - For frying
Red Chillies (optional) - 1 (cut into half)

Method:
Grind grated coconut, ginger, green chillies and salt together with little water. Mix to blend in the ingredients. Season with the tempering of Mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies broken into half, all of these sauted separately in a teaspoon of oil in a heated pan. Pour this seasoning on the chutney, mix well and serve with Dosa.

Suggestion: I prefer less spice at times, so I omitted red chillies and green chillies. Take your pick as per your palate , spice tolerance and taste.

3 comments:

  1. love this pure white chutney and the hint of ginger to it..would taste great with dosas..

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Deepa - Thanks. Yeah the pure white color is simply pretty. I liked the texture of the chutney.

    @ (Mandarin Name which I cannot read) - Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The alle chutney is really amazing...will def try this version...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.