Friday, February 5, 2010

Calcutta Egg Roll/ Kathi Rolls


I first sampled the Egg Rolls or Kathi Rolls at a friends lunch party in Bangalore. My friend A, makes lot of yummy Bengali dishes. I wanted to ask her the recipe but then sooner or later, it got buried. The taste still lingered in my mind. I later sampled the Rolls in one of the Calcutta joints in Bangalore. I like the Calcutta food especially the lighter food items like Ghoogni- a pasty dish of Chickpeas cooked in mild spices, Jhaal Mooree - puffed rice with spices, onions and cilantro, Lebu Chaa - lemon tea which is soothing and subtle, Puchkaa - the good old Pani-Puri Calcutta style et al.


The other day when I was blog hopping, I came across Sandeepa's blog of Bong Mom's Cookbook fame. I was blown away with the recipe of Egg Roll. Much to my amusement, I also found Kawan - Malaysian Paratha for binding in the roll at local Asian grocery store. The final outcome was very tasty, aptly coupled with a Coke Can! Now, we regularly munch on Parathas and snack big on different variations of this roll. Thanks a lot Sandeepa. I tweaked the spice and stuffing; this recipe is a saviour when you want to snack on something easy, quick and tasty.

Recipe Source: Bong Mom's Cookbook

Preparation + Cooking time: 30 minutes ~ 4 rolls

Ingredients:
Paratha Stuffing -
Kawan Paratha - 4
Onions (sliced) - 1/2 cup
Tomato Ketchup - As per taste
Mozzarella Cheese - 1/2 cup
Chaat Masala - 1 tablespoon
Lime Juice - 4 tablespoon
Green Chillies (chopped) - 2

Egg Topping -
Egg (beaten with 1 tsp milk each) - 4
Salt - As per taste
Pepper powder - 2 teaspoon
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Foil - 4 strips to hold the wrap

Method:
Take an individual Kawan Paratha from the freezer and fry immediately on a heated pan. This requires no oil and can be used straight out of fridge. One need not thaw the Parathas before use. Pan-fry the Paratha evenly on both sides till the dough is cooked and fried on both sides.
Separately, break an egg; whisk with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of milk. Beat well to make it fluffy, spread this mix on side of the the Paratha and flip over till the eggs gets cooked on both sides.
Transfer to a plate with the Eggy side on top. Add the topping of onion slices, chaat masala, mozzarella cheese (shredded), green chillies, tomato ketchup, some salt and pepper. Finally, squeeze fresh lime juice and roll half the Paratha with a foil. Serve hot with desired beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.