Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kantola Fries (frozen) in Red Chillies Batter (Phaagla Phodi)

Fried food have universal fans. I have not come across any person who does not like any item which is deep fried. Yes, I am not joking. I like Mom's Aaalavan Phaagla Phodi. I also like these fried in Bitter Gourd as well.

After coming to US, I have been missing these for a long time so the other day I just decided to try it out for good or bad! Noted the details from Mom and started it right from the word go! I also found a packet of pre-cut Kantola in the freezer which I had bought a week ago. I found the in the frozen section of a grocery store here. The Kantola here are comparatively tinier and smaller in size. Kantola is known as Phaagil in Konkani.

It turned out quite nice and the taste still lingers in my mouth. I also mixed some Bell Pepper alongwith Kantola pieces. They tasted crunchy and mildly spicy.

Recipe source: Mom
Serves: 2-3 individuals

Ingredients:
Kantola (Phaagil) - 8-10 (chopped into pieces) ~ store bought from frozen section ~ thaw and then use
Salt - as per taste
Oil - for frying

For batter:
Rice (pre-soaked) -1 Cup
Red Chillies - 6-10
Asafoetida - 1/10 teaspoon


Method:
Pre-soak washed rice in water for 5-6 hours. Grind it to a batter after draining water along with red chillies and asafoetida, salt and very less water.

Apply salt to chopped Kantola pieces and set aside for 1/2 hour. Heat oil in a deep dish pan. Once oil heats up (should not be smoking hot as fries would burn) dip the pieces in batter and deep fry. Serve hot along with rice and curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.