Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Urad Rice Dosa (Urad Rice Polo)

Mom always says - "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a knight, dinner like a pauper". I know what she means and now that I cook on a daily basis I can actually understand the importance of this. Mom knows around 20 to 30 varities of Dosa and she is one passionate lady when it comes to Cooking. Kitchen is her favorite place (no wonder, our Kitchen and Hall is of the same size). She loves to stuff the kitchen with knick-knacks and keep it clean at ALL times. Even if she is dead tired for the day, she spared 15 minutes just to clean the stove top, the sink, the chopping board. She tells me that a lady of the house should never leave the kitchen unclean.


Our breakfasts during childhood days and teenager days were always Idli & Dosa. I simply love the different Dosa's Mom dishes out. She is a pro in the Dosa arena. Whether its with Chutney Pitti, Byadgi Chili Chutney or with dollops of butter. She made sure we always had a healthy filling breakfast.


Its simply yummy and the variety along with the nutrition value makes one wonder how intelligent our ancestors were. One cup Dosa paved the way to many-many dosa's much to my amusement. I got around 20 dosa's. Best part is batter can be made any time and stored in the fridge and taken out whenever the desire to bite down some lentil crispies like these.

This is my first attempt to make Urad dal dosa. I must say - I am impressed with myself. It turned out pretty nice and I liked the taste as well. I wish I could get my Mom and Amma to sample these beauties.

Recipe source: Mom
Serves: 15-20 Dosas.

Ingredients:
Urad Dal - 1 Cup
Rice - 3 Cups
Salt - 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Method:
Soak Urad Dal along with Rice in water after washing for 6-8 hours. Grind to a smooth paste and add salt and leave for fermenting. Stir well once before you put it aside for fermenting.

Pour a ladle of this pearl white goodness and dish out crisp white Dosas. Serve hot with Chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.