Monday, May 18, 2009

Black Eyes Peas Garam Masala Curry (Lobhia Masaley Randayi)


Usually I am not a Roti person at all. Today for some reasons I felt like tucking in some warm roti drizzled with ghee and have some hot-gravy based curry to mesh alongwith. Last month I got Black Eyed Peas from the grocery store and almost forgot. Today I found the packet in the tiny corner of my pantry. I thought I should make something out of these pretty looking legume family. This curry is my own version turned out quite well. I have toned down the taste and aroma with less spices however one can choose to tweak it accordingly.

Serves: 3-4 individuals
Recipe source: self


Ingredients:
Lobhia seeds - 3/4 C
Water - 4-6 C
Potato - 1 (boiled and chopped)
Coriander powder - 1 T
Onion - 1/2 c (chopped finely)
Coconut shavings - 1/2 C (ground to a paste)
Turmeric powder - 1/10 T
Salt - as per taste
Coriander leaves - 5-6 sprigs

Method:
Pre-soak Lobhia seeds in water. They pop up and grow big once soaked so even 1/2 C serves the purpose for servings of 2-3. Boil them alongwith Potato. Chop potatoes and keep aside. Grind grated coconut shavings, turmeric powder and garam masala powder along with 3-4 tablespoons of onion which are chopped.

Heat oil in a sauce pan and fry onions till they turn translucent. Add the ground paste. Add boiled potatoes and fry till get roasted. Add boiled lobhia alongwith water and bring to boil. Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and ground coconut. Mix the curry well and bring to boil. Garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with Rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.