Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Homemade Stovetop Popcorn

I am huge fan of Popcorn and so is my hubby dear; No movie watching so to say is complete without a bag full of Popcorn. No Cola for me. I made a firm decision to reduce or not have Cola since October 2007 and so far have been able to stick to my resolution. I will take occasional sips and say I am done - Enough reminder politely to myself. Some changes which we make early in our life in terms of dietary patterns and eating habits pave the way to a healthy, fulfilled life and metabolism in the long run.


Instead of buying In-Bag-Popcorn which can be popped in the microwave I thought I would make my own. I used to be the "Popping Chef" of my house. Mom and Dad absolutely adore my Popcorns. Come to think of it I got them into the habit of watching movies and compulsorily munching mouthful of Popcorn. Mom and Dad even to this date secretly love this habit of mine and are my ardent Popcorn partners. The Popcorn-in-Bag which I got in India, be it American Garden or the simple ones from Food World, Kirana stores were all packed with oodles and oodles of margarine. I quickly googled for some quick tips and started popping my own golden corns. From then on to years later now, its such a delight to hear the pop-pop sound in the Pasta Pot and the bright glowing corn goodies staring at your face.


Serves ~ 2 individuals
Preparation time ~ 20 minutes

Ingredients:
Corn seeds ~ 3/4th cup
Turmeric powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Red Chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - As per taste
Butter (salted) - 1/4th butter stick or 3-4 tablespoons or equivalent cooking oil

Method:
Heat a Pasta Pot or any other deep dish pot, melt some butter or cooking oil as specified or as per taste. The deeper and thick bottomed the pan, the better. This also gives enough surface area for the Popcorns to pop around freely. Once butter melts, add the corn seeds, turmeric powder and salt. Stir well so that spices get a good mix. Once they begin to pop, cover with a lid with just enough space for the steam to escape. This will also ensure that the corns don't turn soggy with steam particles. Allow to cool for around 30 seconds. Munch in mouthful of this less-buttery goody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.