Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Masoor Daal in Cumin (Masoorichey Varan)


I have to confess I have never eaten split Red Lentils before. Sounds very odd, but for some reasons were never cooked in my house. I still fail to understand why. After coming here, one day I was touring through the Indian Grocery section and found a bunch of Lentils which I've never eaten before. I decided to buy this and make Masoorichey Varan (based on Shilpa's Recipe of Aayisrecipes fame). The taste was simply awesome. My Pune friend's Mom always says that Lentils taste good when they are Pahilyaa Vaafechey which means from the first steam. I just followed this adage and after the first steam in pressure cooker I put it off. Red Lentils cook in 10-12 minutes flat with pressure.
There is something about Varan Bhaat that is so soulful. You can keep enjoying the bites and every morsel of your food and be dwelling in the taste.
We both loved the flavour of this dish and taste was awesome. P relished the Daal and he could not believe his eyes as it looked very similar to Toor Daal. Lime adds that extra dash which you would want for your Varan.
Thanks Shilpa - The taste was awesome and just like Marathi Varan Bhaat. We all loved the flavour!
Varan Bhaat, Tupp, Limbu = I am elevated to cloud nine.

Recipe Source ~ Shilpa of Aayisrecipes
Preparation time ~ 20 minutes

Ingredients:
Red Lentils (Red colored, skinless, hulled split lentils) - 1 cup
Green Chillies (sliced) - 2
Turmeric powder - Just a pinch
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee/Unsalted butter - As per taste
Pepper powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Water - For Boiling consistency
Salt - As per taste
Lime Juice - 2 tablespoons

Method:
Boil the Daal after multiple rounds of wash for 10 minutes or till first whistle. Take off the stove, add little water and bring to boil. Add salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder. Bring to boil and check if its properly cooked and not raw. Give a gentle stir. The Daal will be thick and not too watery in consistency. Pour a seasoning of cumin seeds popped in ghee. Serve hot with lime juice and devour this heavenly tasting Daal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.