Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cornflakes with Apple Chops and Nuts

During one of our recent visits to Boston, we happened to pay a visit to Charlestown Navy Yard. There was a retired naval ship "Destroyer" on display, its setup on a pier at the Charlestown Navy yard. The ship, USS Cassin Young played a critical role in the World War - II and had to handle variable duties; they are all purpose warship driven and hence the name "Destroyer".




Apart from the hunt for history, Torpedo's, warship stories, battlfield glories discovered, lost and fought for I found my fascination for this tiny pantry perched in one of the corners of the ship. A must watch for me! I did not want to spare the kitchen here (pun intended!). I quickly took some shots and was pleased to see how they stored their goods, the bread they baked and it was truly a humbling experience!


The pantry was a tiny place with stands and compartments put up to hold the food stock. There was a large refrigerator which could hold up the stock for the entire regiment. I also found a Galley which had the Kitchen tit-bits written on it. Apparently, there were some days where they baked 100 loafs of bread, quite an enormous figure so to say in proportion to the hard work and effort required; I was amused sometimes they worked all night along to feed the hungry mouths who braved the seas and skies to protect their land.


***********************************************

I love my morning breakfast! Especially "breakfast like a king" style; Cornflakes are the easiest crunches on earth, just treat them with fruits and nuts of your choice and you are set to rock the day! I find it easy with Cornflakes especially on days when you have to be on the go or have have duties beckoning everything else!

Recipe adapted by me based on dietary needs and supplements :)

Ingredients:
Banana Nut crunch cornflakes - 1 cup
Chilled Milk - 1 cup
Sugar (optional) - 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped Apples - Half an Apple
Walnut (chopped) - 1-3 teaspoon
Maple Syrup - 1 teaspoon

Method:
Mix all ingredients together except Cornflakes as they tend to turn soggy soon after contact with liquids. Once you are set on the breakfast table, add your favorite cornflakes and dig into the healthy fare!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.