Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yellow Squash and Corn Cob Curry in Coconut Sauce and Garlic (Yellow Squash and Jolaa Koddel)


Summer is almost about to wind up and Spring would be in by Sept 22nd as per the forecast. I loved the Summer in US as there are plenty of activities one can splurge one's adrenaline upon. Biking, Swimming, Camping, Power Walks, Rafting, Mountain Biking, Park visits. Now that the Sun is going off and Fall is slowly seeping in, I feel the mood is generally sombre and gloomy.

One of those days, I peeped into my pantry and I found a mighty Corn on the Cob and a Yellow Squash. Fusion time I say! I decided to blend in this dish with a Konkani coconut gravy based dish called Koddel. For a change I did not mind the exotic flavours blending in with the traditional spices of Mangalore. The flavour of Yellow Squash was pretty similar to our Yellow Chinese Cucumber you get in India called Magge.
Normally, Koddel is made of few specific items like Kulith (Horsegram), Bagado (very similar to black eyed peas, will search for the English name of this legume). Of all Konkani gravy based dishes Koddel is my favorite.

Recipe adapted from typical South Canara Koddel preparation
Serves ~ 6 to 8 helpings


Ingredients:
Yellow Squash (chopped) - 1
Corn on the Cob (chopped in block sized pieces) - 1
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Red Chillies - 4-5
Tamarind - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida - 1/5 teaspoon
Garlic flakes - 6-8 pods
Turmeric powder - 1/6 teaspoon
Water - For gravy consistency
Oil - For frying
Salt - As per taste

Method:
Chop the Yellow Squash and Corn on the Cob. Boil the with little salt and water. In a separate saucepan, heat up a spoon full of oil and saute grated coconut and red chillies. Allow to cool. Grind to find paste with tamarind, salt and turmeric powder (optional).

Add the ground mix to the boiled vegetables. Bring to boil. Pour a tadka of crushed garlic flakes sauted and charred in oil till they turn brownish. Give a gentle stir. Serve hot with Rice and Upkari of choice.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashwini... I kno about koddel...but vth corn never knew it at all.... nice one :)
    Have a gr8 Day
    Aps

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.