Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pan-fried Bitter Gourd Fritters (Ravey Kaarathey Phodi)


I wanted to make a heart warming meal which satisfies my cravings and takes me back to my home lunches with Mom and Dad dotted with coversations from nowhere, details about the week spent, bits about strolls to the nearest coffee shops, friendly jabber. I quickly thought would make Pan-fried Bitter Gourd Fritters or Ravey Kaarathey Phodi. My mom is an expert in making these fritters which are neither too crispy nor too soft and fleshy. I have grown up eating this. In Konkani, Bitter Gourd is known as Kaarathey. Phodi (konkani term for fried fritters) is a universal favorite alongst konkanis and has lot of fan following within konkani families.
This phodi is one of my Mom's favorite, we can sit and devour this and usher into the heavenly bitter-pungent after taste. Although, I know lot of people who detest the sight of this vegetable :)

Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:
Bitter Gourd (sliced into pin-wheels) - 1
Rava (Rice Flour) - 5 tablespoons
Red Chilli powder - 1/3 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - as per taste
Oil - for frying
Water - for frying Bitter Gourd

Method:
Slice Bitter Gourd into pin-wheel slices. Add salt, turmeric powder and mix the pieces well and keep aside.
Mix the Rava with Red Chilli powder and roll the pieces of Bitter Gourd in it and set aside.
In a deep dish frying pan, place the pieces and add oil in the exposed corners. Fry on medium flame and turn around after 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle water (about 3 teaspoons) and cover the fritters with a lid and keep on a low flame. Turn around after 5 minutes and turn off the flame.


Serve this as a side dish along with Rice and Sambar/ Kolambo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey... all the best with the cake. It came out very well when I made it. Don't add the apple though :-) I just had some, so used it up.

    Karathey Phodiyo... should make it for Teyi next week.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.