Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ripe Mango Sweet Pudding (Aam Ras)


Aam-Ras or Ripe Mango Sweet Pudding is a summer delicacy made in India during the onset of Mango season. Its a very quick and easy dessert to make. Many enjoy this sweet dish when its chilled and it goes well as an accompaniement to Poori ~ The Deep Fried Indian Flatbread.

It was Ganesh Chaturthi, the holy festival in India when Lord Ganesha was born. I thought instead of whining of not being able to be with my family, I might as well celebrate in my humble ways along with P and create my own divine moment with the Lord. I made Poori, Aam-Ras and TendleyBibbe Upkari (Cashewnut-Ivy Gourd side dish).

We offered the food preparation to the Lord, recited Ganpati stotram, lit some Diyas and enjoyed our meals thereafter. It was a divine moment for me!!

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!!

Recipe tweaked from Mom's version of Aam Ras.

Ingredients:
Mango Pulp - 2 Ripe Mangoes (Large size)
Sugar - 10 teaspoons
Milk - 1/2 cup
Cardomon powder - 10 pods
Saffron (optional) - 4-5 strands

Method:
Extract the pulp of Mango or you could canned pulp as well. I used Fresh Mangoes which I had got from Indian Store here. Blend it in with Milk, Sugar and Cardomon powder. If you want it more runny, you could add 3/4 cup milk. Mom makes it little runny and liquidy, I wanted a thick consistency, so adhered to 1/2 cup milk. Take 2-3 spoons of milk and crush the saffron strands. Add this to the final mix and stir along.

Store in a bowl in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours before serving. Goes well with Poori.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.