Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Poori ~ The Indian Deep-Fried Flatbread

Pooris ~ The Indian Deep-Fried Flatbread is a famous little baby amongst Indian Home Cooking family. The trick to get good Pooris is the Dough, Size of Poori and Temperatue of oil. Primarily the dough is made of Wheat Flour or All-Purpose flour or a combination of both. This simple balloony and popped out treat is liked by many a Foodie's and is prepared during festivals/ special occasions et al.


Today has been an eventful day. I finally learnt to make Pooris. They have been my favorite since kiddy days. I used to implore Mom to make this when I used to come tired after work. She used to make Hot Pooris and Garam Masala curry. Ahhh! The flavours used to make me love Mom all the more. I cannot match her cookery skills one bit. But my Pooris ballooned and popped quite well. I used my discretion to make these Pooris. This has been a great feat for me personally!


Serves: 10-15 Pooris


Ingredients:
Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup (warm water)
Salt - as per taste
Oil - For frying (any vegetable oil)

Method:
Spread the flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre and our water slowly along with salt. I could recall making it in a similar way and I knew if I follow her procedure it would be a success. Slowly mix the flour well and knead a stiff dough. It will be stiffer than regular Chapathi dough. Pinch a pebble size dough and roll it into small serving dish Pooris. I prefer making smaller Pooris since they balloon well. Spread on a long tray one by one without the Pooris sticking to each other. Keep atleast 2 batches ready.

Heat oil in a deep dish kadhai. I use Kadhai/ Skillet which I got from India and is made of Steel. I avoid using Non-stick for cooking on high heat and longer duration. One oil is smoking hot, pour each Poori and fry till both the sides are well done and are golden in colour. Each Poori approximately takes 20 seconds for frying. Drain and transfer to a kitchen towel lined tray. Serve hot with Curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.